The Communications Manager is responsible for creating and implementing an annual communications and media plan and managing official events, media appearances and meetings. S/he/they should be skilled in managing multiple, competing priorities simultaneously and while maintaining a sharp focus on details.
The Manager will report to the State Party Executive Director, and work with the entire Party team. Salary is $60,000 to $70,000/year, depending on experience, with health care, vision and dental coverage. The position is part of a union collective bargaining agreement and is based in our Seattle, Washington office. There is a possibility of fast advancement to Director, with the right candidate and work product.
The Communications Manage will manage the operations for internal and external communications, including but not limited to media appearances, press releases and advisories, and digital content. The Communications Manager will also maintain strong relationships with other communications professional in the Democratic Ecosystem, locally, statewide and nationally.
- Working with staff, consultants and vendors on a detailed communications strategy, including implementing an annual communications calendar.
- Develop and manage strategies geared towards the communications lifecycle and journey as it relates to long‐term internal and external communications and goals, as well as the news of the day.
- Aggressively seize media opportunities that appear on the local, state, and national stage, to promote the values and candidates of the democratic party.
- Working with the organization’s Digital staff to guarantee seamless internal and external communications and provide input to digital and social media content.
- Working with the organization’s Development Director on fundraising strategy decisions, public‐facing messaging tactics, and politically sensitive issues as appropriate.
- Working with the organization’s Compliance Director to ensure all communications meet state and federal compliance requirements.
- Directing teams of staff, interns and volunteers in the planning and execution of communications efforts and events.
- Drafting fundraising and event communications, including acquiring approval from Chair, Executive Director, and consulting outside affected parties, such as elected officials, candidates, initiative campaigns, etc.
- Acting as point of contact for guest speakers, providing briefing documents and talking points, and attending to other special requests.
- Acting as point of contact with allied campaigns for communications strategy, plans and events.
- Acting as point of contact for event venue management and other vendors, as needed. This includes determining appropriate room setup orders and timed, detailed event schedules for communications and internal events.
- Tracking internal and external communications, including analytics and coverage reports weekly, monthly, or as requested.
- A passion for social justice and a commitment to Democratic Party values.
- 5+ years proven communications experience, including time directing a department/staff.
- Proven track record of creative and compelling external communications work.
- An unabating drive to unearth new strategies to elect democrats.
- A friendly and professional member‐first demeanor.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Cision, with preferred experience in NGP‐VAN and Patton Technologies; online event registration software; and comfort with or willingness to learn basic graphic design software, such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
- Detail oriented and comfortable working in a fast‐paced office environment.
- Superior organization skills and dedication to completing projects in a timely manner.
- Spanish proficiency preferred.
The Washington State Democratic Central Committee provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Recruitment for this position will remain open until March 15, 2019. To apply please send your resume to jobsearch@wa‐democrats.org, along with a brief description of why you are uniquely qualified, including examples of creative strategies you would bring to the position. Consideration will be given to all qualified applicants who submit their resume by the time recruitment closes.