The Texas Democratic Party (TDP) seeks a Communications Director to manage the overall messaging strategy, act as spokesperson for the TDP when appropriate, maintain and grow connections and relationships with the local, state and national press, and work alongside Democratic candidates and allies to hold Republicans accountable while sharing Democratic priorities and messages. The Communications Director will also be expected to contribute on several office-wide projects including large-scale fundraisers, large events, elections, the Convention and other TDP gatherings.
The Communications Director is a senior member of the staff and will work closely with other senior staff and Party Leadership to set strategic goals and raise the profile of the TDP and our candidates. Additionally, the Communications Director will work closely with the digital team to keep all communications, messages, and branding clear and concise.
- Developing and implementing overarching communications strategy, plans and messages for the State Party;
- Ensuring message continuity across all areas of communications programs; Developing and maintaining relationships with communications leaders amongst Party allies and the media;
- Building and executing an aggressive statewide surrogate program;
- Writing and editing external communications, including talking points, scripts, press releases, and op-eds;
- Working with legislative leadership to take advantage of press opportunities;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Monitoring and tracking local and national press for relevant stories and developments; and
- Developing and deploying rapid responses.
- Minimum of 4 years working in political and/or advocacy communications;
- Excellent people, written and verbal communications skills;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Strong on-the-record expertise, as well as experience with campaign operations and political communications;
- Adept at reviewing crafting plans from polling data
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys the versatility and constant new challenges;
- Proficient in Google Docs, media-monitoring software, Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools; and
- A strong commitment to Democratic values.
How to Apply:
Please send (1) resume, (2) three references (3) two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Director”.