The North Carolina Democratic Party’s (NCDP) Executive Director’s primary responsibilities are to oversee all programs of the NCDP, build the team and manage the team, lead the party through special elections, general elections, and coordinated campaigns, oversee the financial health in both the short and long terms and execute a variety of high level events, some of which are statutorily or institutionally required. The Executive Director is responsible for well-managed Party programs that build the Party at the grassroots level, strengthen its infrastructure, and effectively execute the vision of the Chair. The Executive Director must be committed to the NCDP’s values and platform. North Carolina will be a highly targeted state in 2020 and the Executive Director will lead a growing team into a Presidential and US Senate cycle under great national scrutiny with unwavering confidence and must function with a high level of organizational competence immediately.
The Executive Director reports first to the State Party Chair.
- Manages communications, digital, finance, voter protection, county affairs, compliance, data, field, organizing and canvassing staff, expectations and work output daily;
- Implements strategy and processes of the Chair and leadership of the Party effectively and expediently;
- Maintains close working relationships with various partners including, but not limited to – DNC, DCCC, DSCC, DGA, DLCC, EMILY’s List, NRDC, ASDC, and ASDED as well as other national and local partners as allowed by law;
- Builds and nurtures relationships with local and state elected officials;
- Serves as a spokesperson as appropriate;
- Keeps an updated and working knowledge of campaign finance, election, and compliance laws and works closely with the designated compliance firm and with legal counsel to ensure all Party activities are compliant;
- Builds, tracks, and assesses budgets for the state party and various campaigns;
- Manages the development and oversight of political and campaign strategy;
- Supports the creation, building, and growing of the county parties throughout the state;
- Recruits, interviews, and hires staff;
- Partners with the fundraising staff, Chair, Treasurer, Finance Committee, and donors to create a robust apparatus for fundraising and cultivating large and small dollar donors; and
- Implements the 2020 National Convention Plan.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- A minimum of 4 years direct campaign experience – executive experience working on a coordinated campaign, statewide, or congressional political campaign or a state political party preferred;
- Experience managing a large and highly skilled team;
- Familiarity with multi-million dollar budgets and relatively complex tracking and financial compliance laws and theory;
- Exceptionally strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simutaneously under strict deadlines;
- Detail-oriented with exceptional record-keeping and organizational skills;
- Responsive and positive team leader who thrives off of versatility and constant new challenges;
- Exceptional people skills and patience;
- Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills;
- An unwavering commitment to accuracy and results;
- Effective computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, NGP/VAN, Quickbooks, Google Docs;
- Bachelors Degree and at least six years of related work experience; and
- An unwavering commitment to Democratic values.
- Must have a valid North Carolina driver’s license, a reliable mode of transporation, and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time;
- Office hours are campaign hours;
Salary & Benefits:
The salary and benefits for this position are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Application and Interview Procedure:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample (your discretion), and a salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please only list the words “Executive Director Application” in the subject line. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
The North Carolina Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.