The Missouri Democratic Party (MDP) seeks an Organizing & Regional Director to lead the daily organizing, volunteer management, and candidate support efforts of the MDP. This is a full-time position based in Kansas City, Southern, Middle, or the Greater St. Louis region in Missouri, with a preference for the St. Louis area. The duties of the Organizing part of this position will shift significantly from 2019 to 2020; the responsibilities below reflect a taste of what both years’ work will include.
ORGANIZING DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise and train volunteers, fellows, interns, and Democratic Committee people;
- Coordinate voter registration efforts and other grassroots programs by engaging local Democratic volunteers;
- Ensure local Democratic committees have clear paths and guidelines for success and help coordinate the work of volunteers by utilizing their skills and talents well and providing motivation; Build and maintain democratic committees, with particular emphasis on engagement of grassroots leaders in the Democratic and allied organization spaces;
- Identify, recruit, and train an inclusive network of grassroots leaders, build a base of supporters and allies for joint campaigns, and provide opportunities for engagement in our work;
- Assess and provide support for coalition partners’ organizational and campaign needs, including direct 1-on-1 work with individual organizers or other appropriate leaders;
- The ability to write and implement a comprehensive, data-driven voter targeting, field and organizing plan; Acting as a resource and strategist to candidate campaigns whom desire help with building their field programs;
REGIONAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The Missouri Democratic Party has designed the staff structure to regionalize the party across the state, to help with building grassroots progressive power from the bottom up, and to help un-silo different departments so that staff can be robustly cross trained and empowered. With that, each of the Senior Staff members will be responsible for state subregion.
- Must be a problem server who will serve as the main point of contact for the Missouri Democratic Party for county party leaders, grassroots activists and allied issues groups in your assigned region. Acting as the “go to” person for county party leaders and grassroots activists to get questions answered and problems solved;
- Organize county-based and grassroots projects meant to train and assist local parties;
- Supervise part-time MDP Fellows who will help coordinate trainings, conference calls, and other ideas around ensuring the Democratic party supports Missourians wanting to serve in office or as a party leader;
- Find resources for training and pass them onto counties in their efforts to win elections;
- Visit each county party at least once a year to offer localized training. While in the counties, identify possible candidates and surrogates to help win elections;
- Identify and maximize on opportunities to partner with allied groups on issues in the Democratic Platform such as climate change, family farms, college affordability, etc;
- Help maintain a strong volunteer, finance, and other databases;
- Responsible for ensuring county and local party committee lists are up to date, in databases, and party members’ dues are paid;
- Work with additional senior + regional staff – Party Affairs, Finance, Field, and Data – to cross train and utilize one another as a resource, with other staff leaning on this position for Communications and this position utilizing other staff for their specialty area.
- At least 3 years of professional work in field, organizing, or campaigns;
- Commitment to the Missouri Democratic Party and agreement with organizational mission, goals, and leadership;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of VAN is required, knowledge of NGP or other digital tools is preferred;
- Comfort to work remotely in a coworking or home office environment;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and adapt quickly to changing work priorities;
- Ties to Missouri are very beneficial;
- Willingness and ability to work salaried irregular hours, nights, and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Salary ranges from $40,000 to $45,000 based on experience, including fully paid for medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as travel, cell phone, and accrued paid vacation. Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Lauren Gepford, Executive Director, in an email with the subject line “Communications & Regional Director.” Please email email@example.com. No cold calls please.
The Missouri Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The MDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.