The Missouri Democratic Party (MDP) seeks a Data/Technology & Regional Director to handle the day-to-day data needs of the State Party, county party organizations, state and federal campaigns, and activists. The position will work across departments and with the DNC to use data to build successful campaigns. This is a great launching pad for a future career in data or higher-level political work.
DATA DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide data and technological guidance to the Party and other campaigns, local parties, and stakeholders, acting as frontline for troubleshooting VAN requests, user creation, training, report creation, and ensuring highest quality of data;
- Manage and administer voter file updates, VAN/Votebuilder system, data acquisition, and other technologies utilized in conjunction with the voter file and VAN;
- Lead data presentations and reporting across departments and projects – path to victory, data-driven landscape memos, data-driven presentations or other documents to communicate data analysis and progress with key stakeholders;
- Provide strategic data-driven recommendations to other departments on field, targeting, fundraising, paid and earned communications, and digital. Work with other departments to ensure that political, voter contact, and communications programs are maximizing data resources available and capitalizing on capturing and entering data;
- Set up or ensure that existing various systems are unified and data is being synchronized and shared among various systems (CRM, CMS, and other)
- Extensive training is expected to help fellow staff members and campaigns utilize data, technology, and VAN and collaboration with other departments to develop curriculum;
- Staffer will manage two or more MDP Fellows;
- Assisting heavily with the Communications and Party Affairs Director to ensure all data is collected and integrated in the most usable format for cross-departmental efforts.
REGIONAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The Missouri Democratic Party has designed the staff structure to regionalize the party across the state, to help with building grassroots progressive power from the bottom up, and to help un-silo different departments so that staff can be robustly cross trained and empowered. With that, each of the Senior Staff members will be responsible for state subregion.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Missouri Democratic Party for county party leaders, grassroots activists and allied issues groups in your assigned region. Acting as the “go to” person for county party leaders and grassroots activists to get questions answered and problems solved;
- Organize county-based and grassroots projects meant to train and assist local parties;
- Supervise part-time MDP Fellows and assign them duties to help your work;
- Find resources for training and pass them onto counties in their efforts to win elections;
- Identify and maximize on opportunities to partner with allied groups on issues in the Democratic Platform such as climate change, family farms, college affordability, etc;
- Help maintain a strong volunteer, finance, and other databases;
- Responsible for ensuring county and local party committee lists are up to date, in databases, and local party members have joined the state party;
- Work with additional senior + regional staff – Party Affairs, Finance, Organizing, etc- to cross train and utilize one another as a resource, with other staff leaning on this position for Communications and this position utilizing other staff for their specialty area;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of professional work in a data or campaign related field, ideally having been a Field Organizer, Deputy Data Director or other related more junior level position;
- Proficient use of Votebuilder, Microsoft Excel, predictive/auto-dialer systems, Hustle or other SMS systems, as well as WordPress;
- Experience training users on technical systems and knowledge of or willingness to learn new technology and software to teach them to others;
- Ability to explain quantitative concepts in easy-to-understand language;
- High level of attention to detail, proactive problem-solver
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as SQL, R, or Python for analyzing large datasets
- Experience administering tools such as CRMs, predictive dialers, or mass-texting platforms
- Experience with GIS software and experience “telling a story” with data through quantitative reporting and visualizations
- Experience with or willingness to learn Google Data Studio, Shiny, Tableau or other data visualization platforms
HOW TO APPLY
This is a full-time position based in Southwest, Mid-Missouri, or the Greater St. Louis region in Missouri. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Salary ranges from $40,000 to $45,000 based on experience, including fully paid for medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as travel, cell phone, and accrued paid vacation. Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Lauren Gepford, Executive Director, in an email with the subject line “Data/Technology & Regional Director.” Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. No cold calls please.
The Missouri Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The MDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.