The Missouri Democratic Party (MDP) seeks a Communications/Digital & Regional Director to lead the daily operations, rapid response efforts, internal communications, press events, long-term communications projects, and digital communications for the State Party. In addition, the Communications & Regional Director will manage political, party affairs and membership, training, speaking engagements, and candidate relationships in their assigned region. The Communications & Regional Director reports to the Executive Director and works very closely with other Department Directors, local parties, and campaigns.
COMMUNICATIONS/DIGITAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively publicize the goals, platform, activities and accomplishments of the State Party with stakeholders, donors, key constituency groups, and the news media through traditional, social, and digital media marketing;
- Assisting with the continued creation and execution of an aggressive statewide surrogate communications (Speaker’s Bureau) plan;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Working with local stakeholder groups to help spread a coordinated message statewide;
- Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments;
- Prepare and disseminate communications tools such as press releases, op-eds, public statements, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, pitch ideas, videos, email blasts, newsletters, social media, and graphics;
- Manage and produce email and social media calendar, direct list-building initiatives, create content and own updating the website, and manage multiple social media platforms;
- Prepare and executive short and long-term communications plans;
- Provide media training for county party representatives;
REGIONAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The Missouri Democratic Party has designed the staff structure to regionalize the party across the state, to help with building grassroots progressive power from the bottom up, and to help un-silo different departments so that staff can be robustly cross trained and empowered. With that, each of the Senior Staff members will be responsible for state subregion.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Missouri Democratic Party for county party leaders, grassroots activists and allied issues groups in your assigned region. Acting as the “go to” person for county party leaders and grassroots activists to get questions answered and problems solved;
- Organize county-based and grassroots projects meant to train and assist local parties;
- Supervise part-time MDP Fellows who will help coordinate trainings, conference calls, and other ideas around ensuring the Democratic party supports Missourians wanting to serve in office or as a party leader;
- Find resources for training and pass them onto counties in their efforts to win elections;
- Identify and maximize on opportunities to partner with allied groups on issues in the Democratic Platform such as climate change, family farms, college affordability, etc;
- Help maintain a strong volunteer, finance, and other databases;
- Responsible for ensuring county and local party committee lists are up to date, in databases, and local party members have joined the state party;
- Work with additional senior + regional staff – Party Affairs, Finance, Field, and Data – to cross train and utilize one another as a resource, with other staff leaning on this position for Communications and this position utilizing other staff for their specialty area.
- At least 3 years of professional work in communications, campaigns or related area;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as grammatical and copy editing skills;
- Ability to think quickly on your feet and work in a fast-paced team environment;
- Comfort to work remotely in a coworking or home office environment;
- Comfort or willingness to learn video and screen sharing tools for remote working;
- Experience executing digital and traditional communication strategies;
- Knowledge of NGP, VAN, InDesign, and other related software preferred;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and adapt quickly to changing work priorities;
- Ties to Missouri are very beneficial;
- Willingness and ability to work salaried irregular hours, nights, and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
This is a full-time position based in Southwest, Mid-Missouri, or the Greater St. Louis region in Missouri. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Salary ranges from $40,000 to $45,000 based on experience, including fully paid for medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as travel, cell phone, and accrued paid vacation. Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Lauren Gepford, Executive Director, in an email with the subject line “Communications & Regional Director.” Please email email@example.com. No cold calls please.
The Missouri Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The MDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.