The Louisiana Democratic Party (LDP) seeks a Communications Director to manage the overall messaging strategy of the Louisiana Democratic Party, act as spokesperson for the LDP when appropriate, maintain and grow connections and relationships with the local, state and national press, and work alongside Democratic candidates in the 2018-2019 Coordinated Campaign to hold Republicans accountable while sharing Democratic priorities and messages. The Communications Director will work closely with the Executive Director and Coordinated Team Leadership to set strategic goals and raise the profile of the LDP and our candidates. Additionally, the Communications Director will work closely with the digital team to keep all communications, messages, and branding clear and concise.
The Communications Director will be responsible for, and expected to contribute equally to, several office-wide projects including large-scale fundraisers, large events, elections, the Convention and other LDP gatherings.
This position will work directly with the leadership of the Coordinated Campaign and will be supervised by the Executive Director.
Duties of the Communications Director include:
- Developing and implementing over-arching communications strategy, plans and messages for the State Party;
- Ensuring message continuity across all areas of communications programs;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with communications leaders amongst Party allies and the media;
- Building and executing an aggressive statewide surrogate program;
- Writing and editing external communications, including talking points, scripts, press releases, and op-eds;
- Working with local stakeholder groups to help spread a coordinated message statewide;
- Drafting press releases and other media outreach materials;
- Facilitating press conferences and other earned media events;
- Working with a team to develop and manage a robust social media program;
- Compiling press and issues information and writing briefings;
- Preparing talking points;
- Working with legislative leadership to take advantage of press opportunities;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments; and
- Developing and deploying rapid responses.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 years working in political and/or advocacy communications;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Exceptional people skills and patience;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Strong on-the-record expertise, as well as experience managing all aspects of social media;
- Adept at reviewing crafting plans from polling data
- Experience with campaign operations and political communications;
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys versatility and constant new challenges;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools; and
- A strong commitment to Democratic values.
- Preferred: 3 years of Louisiana political experience
- Must have a reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time;
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to national trainings and events; and
- Office hours are 9:00 – 5:00 in Baton Rouge LA, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly.
Salary & Benefits:
The Louisiana Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefits package with the opportunity for growth.
Application and Interview Procedure:
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, at least two writing samples and a list of references to Michelle Brister at [firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com). Please do not contact by phone.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The Louisiana Democratic Party (LDP) is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The LDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The LDP will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.