POSITION TITLE: Executive Director, Democratic Party of Hawaii
REPORTS TO: Chair of the Democratic Party of Hawaii
LOCATION: Honolulu, Hawaii
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Executive Director, working with the State Chair and Party officers, oversees all programmatic and fundraising activities of the state party. The Executive Director is responsible for managing the headquarters and daily operations of the Democratic Party of Hawaii. He or she must be proactive, self-starter, reliable, responsive, honest, loyal and discreet. The Executive Director reports to the State Chair.
Primary responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the chief strategic and tactical executive of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
- Work with the Treasurer to manage the organization’s finances, track income and expenditures, pay bills, and maintain records and accounts in order to produce financial stability.
- Work with the Chair, Treasurer, State Central Committee, and Executive Committee to develop and adhere to an operating budget.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a fundraising plan in conjunction with the Chair and fundraising committee.
- Manage all staff and interns, including conducting annual performance reviews.
- Knowledge and understanding of the DPH platform, resolutions, and governing documents.
- Ensure the organization and staff complies with all applicable laws governing political parties, including timely filing of required state and federal reports, and the Constitution, Bylaws and Rules of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
- Work with the Chair to manage political relationships both in-state and around the country.
- Work with the Chair to assist and facilitate the needs of the County Committees.
- Manage the external and internal communications of the DPH. Work with the Chair to issue press releases, respond to time-sensitive media events, and present the Democratic Party in a positive, professional light. Refer media inquiries to the Chair. (Executive Director does not serve as the spokesperson for the DPH.)
- Oversee development and production of party-building and message delivery tools, including print and digital.
- Coordinate with DPH Secretary in preparing written reports for all meetings of the State Central Committee, Executive Committee and State Convention.
- Liaise with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), the Association of State Democratic Chairs (ASDC), and the Association of State Democratic Executive Directors (ASDED).
- Organize logistics for all meetings of the State Central Committee and Executive Committee; Organize calendar and schedule activities and meetings held at the DPH headquarters.
- Demonstrate an understanding of all aspects of winning elections including state-of-the-art campaign techniques, new technology, campaign planning, targeting, polling, election law, grassroots initiatives and get-out-the-vote programs.
- Develop, strengthen and grow the grassroots volunteers and leaders of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
- Working with the Party Secretary to develop, update, and implement guidelines for the use and maintenance of Party files and records, including archiving, storage and disposal. Assisting Party Secretary with all data management operations of the Party, including the membership database and voter database systems.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all DPH computers, including providing appropriate security and back-up systems.
- A proven, successful executive with the ability to provide dynamic internal and external leadership to the Democratic Party of Hawaii to achieve political and financial objectives.
- Pertinent experience in Executive/Senior level management. Preferred experience: a combination of work in the not-for profit sector, public sector, private sector and/or trade associations, including some experience in local, state or federal politics.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a credible reputation and high-profile presence in the community as would be required on behalf of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategic political strategies and manage the tactical execution to achieve results.
- An excellent internal leader recognized for the ability to develop, motivate, manage and build functional teams that regularly achieve and maintain superior levels of performance.
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication and proven media experience are essential.
- An individual who is passionate about the success of the Democratic Party and the quality of life for Hawaii residents.
- Fluent in MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, as well as internet and social media.
- Experience in soliciting and securing donor dollars is essential both in state and nationally.
- Knowledge and understanding of the political landscape within Hawaii.
- Experience managing successful social and digital media campaigns.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Democratic Party database systems, such as NGP, VAN, and HiDems.
- Solid understanding of Hawaii State Election Commission and Federal Election Commission requirements.
- Experience developing membership training programs and services consistent with Democratic Party needs and activities.
- Key Attributes: Excellent manager of paid staff and volunteers, trustworthiness/believability, professional appearance, highly developed interpersonal and communications skills, self-starter, results oriented, global thinker, diplomatic, ability to multi-task, resourceful, strong public communication skills, open-minded to differing views, persuasive, quick thinking, outgoing and approachable, able to work with little supervision, excellent time management skills, strong leadership ability, responsive and timely follow-up, conflict resolution skills, negotiation skills, and ability to influence.
- Political Acumen: Knowledgeable in current and possible future practices, trends, and other information affecting the Democratic Party in Hawaii and the country. Understands the competitive issues; aware of the political landscape for change and how collaborative strategies around the state work for the betterment of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; comprehends how collaborative strategies with national entities work for the betterment of the Democratic Party of Hawaii and candidates in Hawaii.
- Member Focus: Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and externalgroups; effectively articulates and promotes Democratic Party of Hawaii programs and services; talks and acts with Democratic Party of Hawaii values in mind; establishes and maintains effective on-going relationships with board members and all groups and gains their trust and respect.
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt (not subject to overtime).
WORKING CONDITIONS: Full-time position. Generally, Monday through Friday, shall require evening and weekend hours. Extended hours during election season and State Convention. Registered voter in Hawai‘i and Member of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i. Willing to perform work outside the office. Vehicle travel required.
TO APPLY: To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director” by March 8. For information on the position’s requirements and expectations, please review the description here: DPH Exec Dir – Job Description.
Application Deadline: March 8, 2019