The Florida Democratic Party is expanding our team in advance of 2020 and is seeking a Voter Protection Director (VPD) primary responsibilities are to work with the Executive team to develop and implement and manage a year-round, statewide voter protection program.
Specifically, the VPD will work across the state to build a volunteer legal team, identify voter protection and voter accessibility issues and identify strategies for implementing desired changes. She or he will work with the Voter Protection Committee providing technical assistance, organizing and facilitating its work, establishing and leading the poll watching, hotline and boileroom programs during primary, general, municipal and special elections while providing training for staff, volunteers and activists in proper voter protection protocol. The VPD will be responsible for building and sustaining the political and strategic relationship with the appropriate departments of the DNC, County Supervisors of Elections, the Florida Department of Elections, and candidate voter protection programs as well as generally being a statewide resource and point person for legal, legislative and strategic action against acts of voter suppression, intimidation or other efforts aimed at disenfranchising voters of Florida. Additionally, the VPD will be responsible for and expected to contribute equally to several office-wide projects including large-scale fundraisers, large events, elections and other FDP gatherings.
Description of Duties
- Development of a statewide Voter Protection Committee and coordination of Voter Protection Committee meetings
- Organizing county liaisons, poll watchers and voter protection team members throughout the state
- Building and delivering training programs as well as written manuals and other modes of communications to the benefit of the Party
- Tracking voting legislation and organizing testimony where appropriate during the General Assembly
- Directing the strategic, technical and operational needs of a Voter Protection boiler room, hotline, social media needs, etc., during active elections
- Recruiting volunteers, committee members and cultivating lasting relationships with elections experts
- Liaising with the DNC’s Voter Protection team
- Working in coordination with other FDP departments to build capacity in the counties, organize volunteers, train Democrats and raise needed funds
- Maintaining a current knowledge of Voter Protection related lawsuits and current events, as well as a current knowledge of Party activities, goals and of general Democratic political news
- Cooperating with the various departments at the FDP to perform all-staff activities such as State Committee Meetings, large fundraisers and the State Convention
- Diligent Work Ethic: our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn’t the job for you.
- Experience running a Voter Protection Program preferred
- Experience as poll watcher, trainer or liaison to a Supervisor of Elections preferred
- Political organizing and/or campaign experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional people skills and patience
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys versatility and constant new challenges
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools
- Strong public speaking skills
- Unwavering commitment to accuracy and results
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least two cycles of political or commensurate experience
- Law degree
- A strong commitment to Democratic values
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good judgment
- Ability to be a team player
- Demonstrated superior writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, Spanish and/or Creole are helpful
- Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and e-mail programs
- Experience with social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers
- Are fluent in a second language
- Possess a familiarity with VAN and LBJ software
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to national trainings and events
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:00, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
Salary & Benefits
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $55,000 to $67,500 commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer.. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Penalosa at email@example.com by 5:00 pm on January 5, 2019 and use Voter Protection Director as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
The Florida Democratic Party is committed to hiring an inclusive, diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity, or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.