The Florida Democratic Party is expanding our data and analytics team in advance of 2020 and are currently seeking a VAN Administrator. As a VAN Administrator, you will work with volunteer data teams, campaigns, county parties and elected officials to administer the FDP VAN. Day-to-day, responsibilities include responding to help tickets, working with stakeholders to monitor data quality, and training users on best practices. This is an entry level data position, perfect for a candidate who wants to hone their skills and become a data and analytics expert by learning in a fast-paced environment in the largest swing state in the US in advance of the 2020 Presidential elections.
At the Florida Democratic Party we view the data department’s core competency is to solve problems that involve data and information. As part of this core competency, we administer the VAN (our CRM) in partnership with county parties and campaigns. We create reports to support the work that staff and volunteers are doing throughout the state of Florida. Our team is responsible for targeting, using maps and statistical analysis to ensure we are speaking to the voters who most need to hear from us, that we are tracking progress to goals across all departments and ultimately that we are using data and analytics to ensure Democrats win.
While a broad skill set is always a plus, what we are really looking for is someone who can specialize and take ownership over a few aspects of our departmental work. So whether you are an experienced campaign staffer who is new to data, or a technical guru who is new to campaigns, or something in between, we want to hear from you. If you are interested in politics and want to join a team that is all about problem solving, we hope you will apply.
Based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This position reports directly to the Deputy Data Director of Analytics and is overseen by the Deputy Executive Director of Data and Security.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Experience administering VAN and other CRMs
- Work directly with campaign and Party field teams to address issues with VAN and VoteBuilder
- Plan and facilitate group trainings (preferably on technical matters)
- Manage the data ticketing and help ticketing process and respond to requests
- Hold regular office hours to address common and Level 1 VAN questions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND REQUIRED ATTRIBUTES
- Diligent Work Ethic: Our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: Many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn’t the job for you.
- Prior experience as field or organizing staff on a campaign.
- Previous campaign experience in data or analytics.
- Fluency in VAN.
- Familiarity with advanced Excel functions and formatting, knowledge of SQL or willingness to learn a plus.
- This is an entry level position so any knowledge of GIS maps with data layers, use of scripting or macros to automate tasks and manage large datasets, familiarity with writing software and API integrations or willingness to learn any (or all of these) are a big plus.
- Experience with organizing tools including Hustle, Organizer, Mobilize America and Relay dialer (to name a few) and willingness to learn and incorporate new digital and tech organizing tools into FDP’s data infrastructure.
OTHER JOB RELATED REQUIREMENTS
- Travel to satellite and other statewide locations to prepare, coordinate and deliver training.
- Attend various meetings as assigned by leadership and serve as a support resource to local organizations.
- May require day and/or overnight travel and non-traditional work schedules.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers
- Fluency in a second language
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel often for several days at a time
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $35,000 to $45,000 commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Penalosa at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on January 5, 2019 and use Political Director as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
FDP believes that our differences enhance our strength and we believe that we benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.