The Florida Democratic Party is expanding our team in advance of 2020 and is seeking a Statewide Press Secretary ot work in the FDP Communications Department. The Communications Department carries the voice of the Florida Democratic Party to the media, to our Democratic leaders, to our Clubs and Caucuses, and to the general public through various media and communications outlets. The Statewide Press Secretary’s role is to help the Party and our elected leaders disseminate the Party’s message in a strategic and coordinated way. The Statewide Press Secretary reports to the head of the Communications Department.
This position is based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Description of Duties
- Write press materials, including but not limited to press releases, advisories, op-eds, talking points, briefing memos, newsletters.
- Establish and maintain relationships with reporters in every media market in Florida.
- Pitch events and stories to reporters and media outlets.
- Monitor and track news through daily press clips.
- Draft social media copy, assist in running Party Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Support the work of Communications Director and Digital Director.
- Attend press events as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or another related field desirable
- A registered Democrat
- Experience working on political campaigns or advocacy organizations
- Experience dealing with and speaking to the media
- Familiarity of Democratic Party’s messaging and objectives
- Commitment to electing Democratic Leaders
- Working in communications for a minimum of two political cycles
- Diligent Work Ethic: our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn’t the job for you.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good judgment
- Ability to be a team player
- Demonstrated superior writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, Spanish and/or Creole are helpful
- Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and e-mail programs
- Experience with social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers
- Fluent in a second language
- Possess a familiarity with VAN.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to national trainings and events
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
Salary & Benefits
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $55,000 to $67,500 commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Penalosa at email@example.com by 5:00 pm on January 5, 2019 and use Voter Protection Director as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
The Florida Democratic Party is committed to hiring an inclusive, diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity, or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.