The Florida Democratic Party is expanding our team in advance of 2020 and is seeking an experienced Political Director to run a robust political operation with a primary focus of supporting local elected and Party leaders and Florida Democratic Party candidates.
In this role, you will collaborate with Party, Federal, State, County and Municipal candidates and elected leaders to build political power across the state. The Party defines political power as short term wins in elections and creating, sustaining and wielding permanent political infrastructure for future campaigns, candidates and elected officials allowing the Democratic Party to secure Democratic and political victories in Florida.
Based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This position reports directly to the Deputy Executive Director of Political Affairs and Communications.
- Supervise all in-state political staff
- Act as liaison from the Party to Florida elected officials and their staff
- Draft political plans for overall direction and focus of political program for the entire state
- Plan and coordinate political field activities for Party campaigns city, county, state and federal level
- Provide input and draft sections for statewide electoral and issue based campaign plans
- Work closely with the communications and community engagement teams to provide our elected leaders with a grassroots platform, audience and an opportunity to amplify the message of the Democratic Party via our elected leaders
- Work directly with the Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director on defining electoral strategies, plans and benchmarks in coordination with Party leadership and elected officials
- Create a roadmap and plan for expanding the Party’s political footprint through the strengthening of relationships and program development with statewide and national Democratic and progressive coalition partners
- Identify and develop relationships with key partners and stakeholders across the state
- Ensure coordination between departments related to electoral and political activities and issue campaigns
- Manage projects with competing deadlines and needs
- Conduct regular political call time to elected officials
- Collect and prepare reports for senior leadership based on input and Party requests from our elected officials
- Create and maintain contact information for all Democratic elected officials and their staff at the City, County, State and Federal level
- Plan and lead large political and surrogate events across the state
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- At least three cycles of political campaign experience (minimum one cycle in Florida), this is not an entry level position
- Experience in drafting campaign plans
- Excellent organization skills and experience working with elected leaders
- Event planning with extra points for leadership roles in large surrogate events
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively; both verbally and written
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Diligent Work Ethic: our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn’t the job for you.
OTHER JOB RELATED REQUIREMENTS
- Travel to satellite and other statewide locations to prepare, coordinate and deliver training.
- Attend various meetings as assigned by leadership and serve as a support resource to local organizations.
- May require day and/or overnight travel and non-traditional work schedules.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers
- Are fluent in a second language
- Possess a familiarity with VAN.
- Hold knowledge of and relationships with Florida elected officials and staff
- Have experience with ballot measure campaigns
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel often for several days at a time
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $50,000 to $67,500 commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
To apply, e-mail a letter describing your interest in the job, your resume, cover letter, and a list of references to Juan Penalosa at email@example.com by 5:00 pm on January 5, 2019 and use Political Director as the subject line. Please do not contact by phone.
FDP believes that our differences enhance our strength and we believe that we benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.