The Florida Democratic Party is expanding our team in advance of 2020 and is seeking a Hispanic Press Secretary to work in the FDP Communications Department. The Communications Department carries the voice of the Florida Democratic Party to the media, to our Democratic leaders, to our Clubs and Caucuses, and to the general public through various media and communications outlets. The Hispanic Press Secretary’s role is to help carry the Florida Democratic Party’s message to the Hispanic community, lift up the voices of our Hispanic leaders, implement a Hispanic media strategy, and work with Hispanic media across Florida. The Hispanic Press Secretary will report to the Statewide Press Secretary and is overseen by the Deputy Executive Director of Political and Communications.
This position is based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Description of Duties
- Write Spanish press materials, including but not limited to press releases, advisories, op-eds, talking points, newsletters.
- Establish and maintain relationships with Spanish media reporters in Florida and nationwide.
- Pitch Spanish-speaking surrogates to reporters and media outlets.
- Support the work of Communications Director and Digital Director.
- Attend press events as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or another related field desirable
- A strong commitment to Democratic ideals and issues
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
- Experience working on political campaigns or advocacy organizations
- Experience and established working relationship with Spanish media
- Familiarity of Democratic Party’s messaging and objectives
- Commitment to electing Democratic Leaders
- Working in communications for a minimum of 2 political cycles
- Diligent Work Ethic: our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Positive Attitude: Even on tough days, our team needs to remain optimistic and upbeat. This will make us more productive, and, to an extent, positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Share Democratic Values: Our mission is to elect all of our Florida Democratic candidates. You need to share a passion for this mission. If you are inclined to support Republicans, to split your ticket, or are disengaged from politics, then this isn’t the job for you.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good judgment
- Ability to be a team player
- Demonstrated superior writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers
- Possess a familiarity with VAN
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel outside of the state, often for several days at a time, to national trainings and events
- Office hours are 9:30 – 6:30, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
Salary & Benefits
The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth, salary range is $50,000 to $60,000 commensurate with experience including excellent insurance paid fully by the employer. The position is currently slated through December 31, 2020 and may be renewed for permanency.
Please send a resume, three references, and writing samples in both English and Spanish to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job you are applying for in the subject line by January 5, 2018.
The Florida Democratic Party is committed to hiring an inclusive, diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity, or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.