Wisconsin Senior Communications Advisor
Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Senior Communications Advisor
Position Summary: The Senior Communications Advisor is responsible for managing and assisting in the development of the overall communications and messaging strategy within the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. This position will oversee all internal and external communications, develop and execute a communications plan that strengthens the Democratic Party’s narrative, drive earned media and rapid response efforts and communicate the Party’s message. This position reports to the DPW Executive Director and will start immediately.
• Work with the State Chair and Executive Director to develop and promote a narrative, agenda and message.
• Hire and manage a growing communications staff.
• Plan and execute major statewide projects to develop effective messaging and communications strategies in all areas of our state including polling projects, focus groups and other strategic initiatives.
• Lead all aspects of a successful communications team with responsibilities including:
o Generate earned media coverage of the Democratic message and candidates.
o Write press releases, media advisories, talking points, columns and speeches.
o Schedule media interviews and provide appropriate background information.
o Pitch stories and research to state and national media.
o Work with communications and research staff of state/national committees and allied organizations.
o Address all media inquiries and oversee comprehensive media tracking program.
o Travel with and staff the Chair, party officials and surrogates to media events as needed.
o Advise the State Chair and Executive Director on communication matters.
• Background in a senior communications positions for political campaigns, non-profits, labor union, media outlet or other related experience required.
• Experience in developing successful messaging strategies across media platforms.
• Development and management of large and complex projects involving staff, consultants and strategic partners
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including on-the-record experience.
• Track record of success in a fast paced, high stakes environment.
• Motivated, self-starter able to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff and partners to advance communication objectives.
• Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines, as well as creatively solve problems and look for efficiencies and ways to improve communications and systems.
• Ties to Wisconsin and/or experience in the upper Midwest a plus.
To Apply: Email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Advisor” in the subject line.