Florida President of Democratic Party
The Florida Democratic Party seeks a President (formerly the “Executive Director”) to serve as day-to-day manager of the organization and head of operations, driving a year-round, statewide organization to win elections and advance Democratic values. The President will be responsible for the creation and management of a multi-million dollar budget while overseeing the strategic and political direction of the Florida Democratic Party, as determined by the Chair and his leadership team. The President will work directly with elected leaders across Florida and at every level of government along with grassroots and lay leadership throughout the state. The President works directly, on behalf of the Chair, with the Florida Democratic Party’s governing body, the State Executive Committee, along with all committees and sub-groups. The President will serve, alongside the Chairman, as the “public face” of the party through speaking engagements, meeting with local party leaders, media interviews, etc.
Florida is our nation’s largest swing state and in 2018 will host a competitive U.S. Senate race and the country’s largest open gubernatorial race. The path to reclaim the White House in 2020 runs through Florida. This will be a dynamic, fast paced and exciting cycle.
The President will report directly to the Chair. This person must be able to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Day-to-day management of the Florida Democratic Party;
- Working with and maintaining relationships with candidates and campaigns across the state of Florida at all levels of elected office;
- Working with and collaborating with the National Democratic Committees (DNC, DSCC, DCCC, DGA, DLCC), other state and local parties, and progressive organizations across the state and nation;
- Crafting a yearly budget and managing that budget throughout the year;
- Planning and executing a state convention;
- Planning and executing state party meetings throughout the year as necessary;
- Hiring of staff and human resources compliance;
- Overseeing all legal matters with the assistance of outside counsel;
- Training and development for Democratic Party volunteers, local party committees, clubs and caucuses;
- Directing a year-round, statewide field organization.
- Multi-cycle campaign experience is a must;
- Experience working for or with a state party is preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple teams of people in setting and meeting competitive goals;
- A working knowledge of all aspects of political campaigns and how those campaigns are run;
- A working knowledge of how political parties are governed at the local, state and national level;
- Experience working in a high pressure environment;
- Strong writing and presentation skills, public speaking required;
- Ability to plan and manage time sensitive projects with competing needs;
- Working knowledge of statistical models, precinct targeting, etc.;
- A working knowledge of state and federal campaign finance laws as they pertain to state parties and campaigns is preferred;
- Public speaking ability and/or on-the-record media experience is essential;
- Very frequent travel both in and out of state;
- Capacity and desire to work long hours in a campaign setting.
HOW TO APPLY:
This is a full-time position located in Tallahassee OR Miami, Florida. The applicant may choose the main location for their office subject to approval by the Chair. This position is available and will be open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience. Please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references electronically to Tessa Bay at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “President – FDP” in the subject line.