Nebraska Communications Director
POSITION TITLE: Nebraska Democratic Party Communications Director
REPORTS TO: Nebraska Democratic Party Executive Director
LOCATION: Lincoln, Nebraska
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Communications Director, working with the Executive Director, State Chair, party officers and elected officials, oversees all messaging of the state party. The Communications Director is responsible for creating messages—online and offline—to help win elections for Democrats in a complex, competitive political environment. By building relationships with traditional and nontraditional press, driving collaborated messaging and maintaining awareness of current events, the Communications Director shapes and promotes the Nebraska Democratic Party’s public image.
To apply for this job, you must have at least 5 years of professional nonprofit, business or political communications experience. Additionally, you must have online and offline communications experience. Specific responsibilities and skills needed are listed below.
The position is responsible, at a minimum, for the following:
- Serve as the chief communicator of the Nebraska Democratic Party.
- Develop and maintain relationships with traditional (i.e. print, tv, radio) and nontraditional (i.e. bloggers, podcasts, online news shows) media members and outlets.
- Identify and maximize on opportunities for press including finding issues that align with our Democratic Platform, keeping Republicans accountable and hopping on hot topics to keep party leaders and the Democratic brand in the press.
- Write talking points, speeches, blogs, web content, issue narratives and press releases.
- Maintain and expand all forms of the party’s communication including the press list, website, Facebook page and Twitter account. To include contracting with creative firms for share graphics and other innovate messaging.
- Facilitate press conferences and other media events.
- Develop a plan for weekly messages, press releases, online communications, relationships with journalists, and other innovative ways to ensure we connect with voters and keep Republicans accountable.
- Assist candidates on creation/setting up basic communications including website, logo, profile picture, Facebook page and Act Blue page.
- Train candidates and party leaders on communicating with the press and public including tips for going on TV, doing radio interviews and how to engage with social media.
- Attend—as needed—Democratic National Committee and the Association of State Democratic Chairs meetings with the Nebraska Party Chair and other officers.
Candidates must have the following skills:
- At least 5 years experience in a communications position inside a political campaign, public sector, non-profit, private industry and/or trade association. The ideal profile of career experiences would include a blend of sectors.
- Clear understanding of all communications aspects of winning elections including polling, grassroots/issue-based messaging and new technology being used to communicate with voters (e.g. instagram, snapchat, texting, etc).
- Ability to establish and maintain a credible reputation and high profile presence in the press community on behalf of the Nebraska Democratic Party.
- Proven experience in writing issue messaging, speeches, press releases and other forms of communications with knowledge of AP style.
- Relationships with state and national press.
- Media experience with on-air TV, writing of blogs, radio and print interviews.
- Track record of bringing creative solutions to the job.
- Knowledge and understanding of political dynamics within Nebraska.
- Obsessed about the success of the Democratic Party and the quality of life for Nebraskans.
This position will remain open until Jan. 15th when all resume and cover letters are due. Submit resume and cover letter that includes salary requirement to the NDP Secretary, Charlene Ligon, by 5pm CT on Jan. 15, 2017. Please use this email: firstname.lastname@example.org.