Maryland Executive Director
Job Title: Executive Director
Employer: Maryland Democratic Party
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
The Maryland Democratic Party seeks a proven leader to serve as Executive Director. The applicant must possess strong organizational skills, outstanding written and verbal communication skills, an inspiring and collaborative management style, and an understanding of Maryland politics. The Executive Director will develop a plan to ensure victory in 2018 and beyond, manage day-to-day operations, and report to the Chair of the Maryland Democratic Party. The position is based in Annapolis and will require extensive statewide and periodic out-of-state travel.
Management and Operations
- Developing and adhering to an operation budget
- Approve and sign off on all expenditures
- Developing strong tools and systems to manage staff
- Ensuring the party adheres to federal, state, and local campaign finance laws
- Regularly monitoring cash flow and preparing regular reports for party leadership
- Report on regular basis to Party leadership of the state of the Party
- Oversee communications operation including press releases, commenting on the record, responding to attacks, and presenting the Democratic Party in a positive, professional light
- Develop approval process for communication’s materials, being conscious of the party’s platform and needs of elected officials
- Manage a strong presence for the state party online, and utilizing all social media outlets
- Develop rapid response network and utilize it to supports candidates, elected officials and party’s agenda/message
- Direct fundraising efforts and work with finance and compliance staff to implement plan
- Play an active role in fundraising – managing and attending events, assisting with call time and donor outreach, etc.
- Develop and play an active role in the party’s low dollar fundraising effort
- Ensure all campaign finance reports and other required reports are accurately and timely filed
- Acting as liaison with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee and the Association of State Democratic Chairs, and participate in the Executive Director organization of ASDC
- Oversee and maintain relationships with Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, central committees and donors both in Maryland and nationally
- Develop and implement a 24-jurisdiction strategy
- Oversee year-round field strategy
- Develop training programs for the state party, including central committees, activists and candidates
- Oversee the meetings of the State Central committee as required by state party by-laws.
- Manage political relationships both in state and around the county, e.g. DGA, DNC, DSCC, DCCC, and others
- Oversee the management and engagement of the Diversity Leadership Councils
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience in politics
- Proven leadership abilities and a collaborative management style
- Experience creating and managing strategic plans and budgets
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of Maryland politics
- Demonstrated commitment to the Democratic Party and its values
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, and to conduct in-state and out-of-state travel
- B.A./B.S. required, advanced degree in business, communications, law or policy preferred
- An excellent sense of humor.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than April 28, 2017. The Maryland Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.