Florida Communications Director
The Florida Democratic Party seeks a highly skilled Communications Director to assist in all aspects of communications strategy, messaging, rapid response, and digital operations for the 2018 election cycle.
The Communications Director will be responsible for developing and implementing short and long-term communications strategies, managing digital, Spanish language and specialty media, rapid response and research staff and vendors. The position will be located in Miami or Tallahassee and will require some travel.
- Develop and maintain the communication and messaging calendar for the Democratic Party
- Implement, and execute communications, digital, rapid response and earned media strategies for the Florida Democratic Party
- Serve as the principle on the record spokesperson for the party;
- Build and maintaining relationships with local, state, and national press, as well as pitch and place stories with print, television, and digital media outlets;
- Work with Democratic elected officials, party leaders, and campaigns on coordinated messaging and earned media strategies;
- Oversee all written communications, including press releases, talking points, speeches, social media content, fundraising emails, etc.;
- Working with the digital director to implement and manage an aggressive social program;
- Organizing earned media and bracketing events, as well as implementing an aggressive rapid response operation;
- Help establish and implement a paid media strategy for the Florida Democratic Party
- Develop creative community communication plans and tactics for future party initiatives (online voter registration, etc.)
- Oversee and manage all internal communication strategy for Florida Democratic Party
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in political communications and campaigns;
- Strong on the record experience;
- Experience in developing an agency wide communications calendar
- Experience managing a staff and communication vendors
- Ability to develop relationships with the press and pitch stories;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both English;
- Ability to work long hours in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- Experience working with campaigns, surrogates and national and other state Democratic parties and organizations
- Spanish and French proficiency are not required but helpful.
- Salary is competitive
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing samples, as well as any on-the-record clips you feel are relevant, to Tessa Bay at the Office of the Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line FDP Communications Director.